6.01.2011

this is kind of a big deal

There's some exciting stuff brewing at Blimpcat HQ, and it's not just coffee. Tomorrow marks a very important day for the shop (and for me personally). It's Jimmy's 25th birthday, which is awesome, but it's also...

...my last day at my full-time job!

Two weeks ago I gave notice that I would be leaving my day job in early June. Business has been growing steadily over the first months of this year, and I decided in March to try to find a freelance position, something that would allow me to work on Etsy nearly full-time while still providing a safety net if I had a slow week. I found that job (writing for Groupon), got my ducks in a row, took a deep breath, and off we go.

The day I put in my notice, as I was coming back from the quittin' meeting, I was flooded with text messages and Tweets telling me that our Know Your Coffees poster was featured on Etsy's Facebook page. Within moments, orders started pouring in, and kept up for the rest of the day. It ended up being my biggest day, sales-wise, in my long history on Etsy. I took it as a sign from the universe that I'd made the right decision.

So what does all this mean for the store? It means lots of good things. More designs, more often. Quicker response and turnaround times. And expansion into a new realm I've been dying to enter for a long time now: home goods. I love furniture, it's one of my greatest passions, and with any luck you'll be seeing some original pieces pop up in the shop in the next few months.

To top it off? While I'm writing this post, explaining how I took my big day of sales as a sign that I was making the right decision, we were featured on Reddit--and today we've sold even more than we did on Coffeeday. Double universe bonus!

1 comment:

  1. so...you guys are like a huge etsy success now!!!! That's amazing...now we need it to happen to us! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete