2.17.2011

change of scenery: blimpcat's office renovation

Hello everyone! We've been absent for the last few days, not because of a sudden lack of wonderful Etsy gems or wedding inspiration, but because of something closer to home. In our home, to be precise. Ever since Jimmy and I moved into our place two years ago, we've kept busy making the place feel like home: painting rooms, buying and refinishing furniture, and in one traumatic episode, removing three layers of hideous wallpaper from the master bathroom.

Throughout all this activity, we've been using our shared office pretty much as a dumping ground. Every conversation that started with "Where does this go?" ended with "Put it in the office for now, we'll figure it out." The room is bland, dark (owing to no overhead lighting and the "window" being a glass door that opens out onto a shady porch) and very cluttered, so I almost never work there.

Last weekend, I finally decided I'd had enough. We didn't want to paint the walls, since it was too much work to move everything out, we were working on a limited time frame, and Jimmy liked the color. So I set out to work with what we had. I'm seriously embarrassed to show you the "before" picture, but in the interest of full disclosure, here it is...

Please, please don't click to enlarge
ICK AGH what an awful space. Note the crappy stick lamp I hated, the extreme excess of furniture, the pile of papers and homeless dishes on the desk, the non-functioning old PC, the mostly unused pegboard...it's pretty terrible. The first step was just removing all the crap from the space. Once that was accomplished, it already felt better. I sold both the rolling sewing-machine carts on Craigslist, along with the desk lamp, and gave the computer to Jimmy to tinker with.

I wanted a custom-built glossy white L-shaped desk and a white chair, to brighten the space and make what little light there is more effective--like this:

 
But I knew right away we couldn't afford to start from scratch (we were working on a budget of about $200). So we decided to use my despised folding table as a base, and build a new top for it, with a counter extending from it along one wall. Here's what that looked like:


I've already painted the pegboard in this picture, and installed a big pendant lamp (see how much of a difference the overhead light makes?). We built a plywood top and shelf and installed them; all the heavy objects in our house are piled onto the wood while the glue dries. At one point our vacuum and cat were also up there! After installing the new wood, the next task was to paint it, and begin decorating. Here are the things we bought for the new space:
  • Paper lantern and cord kit from Pier 1 ($25)
  • Porcelain duck and lotus bowl from Pier 1 ($5 total)
  • White flokati rug from Wal-Mart ($20, bought on a gift card)
  • Chrome lamp and shade from Wal-Mart ($15)
  • Clear acrylic book holders from Wal-Mart ($6 for two)
  • White gauze curtain from Wal-Mart ($7 on clearance)
  • Cube shelves from Kohl's (normally $34 for 3, bought two sets on sale for $17 each)
  • Photo frames from Kohl's (also 50% off, $15 for 3)
  • Chalkboard sticker from Kohl's ($11 on clearance)
  • Monofilament and eye screws for "floating" memo board area ($5)
  • Ikea JULES chair (given to me for free by a good friend)
And here are the results...are you ready?



What do you think?? It took many coats of polyurethane to make the desk so shiny, but it was 100% worth it--the light just bounces everywhere now, it's very inviting. The rug (I know, I know, Wal-Mart, but my shopping options are limited here) keeps my feet warm when Mitzy (the Blimpcat herself) isn't sitting on them. The chair is surprisingly comfortable, and I love its modern design. And now the special things I want to showcase are arranged with thought and care, rather than just tossed wherever. I think it's funny that I got rid of furniture, but actually have more working space now!


The "gallery wall": my Etsy to-do list chalkboard, a Ben Folds concert poster made by local artist Ben Chlapek, two of Jimmy's vintage cameras, a brass duck and heart that my aunt gave me as a child, a toy 1957 Chevy Bel-Air (my favorite car), two of my favorite wedding photos, a teapot made by my dear friend Emily, and a pair of "stress cows" from my day job.


I needed to organize my writing instruments and cutting tools, but I didn't really want to spend any money. So I just designed some simple wrappers, printed them out on kraft paper, and covered up empty cans (coconut milk, black beans and tomatoes, I think!).


I never liked my old gooseneck desk lamp, so I replaced it with this "normal" lamp. The photo on the desk is one of my favorites from the wedding, of three of my bridesmaids blowing bubbles.


This poor swan was all by himself on the clearance shelf at Pier 1. I brought him home to hold Post-It notes for me (I have a little addiction). If you've ordered anything from me in the past, you should be familiar with the fat cat cards there :)

So I'm sorry for the delay in blog updates since we've been busy getting the office together--but I could not be happier with the new space, and I hope you like it too! Now, when you get a package with a fat cat on the front, you'll know it was lovingly designed and packed right here.

1 comment:

  1. I doubt if you will see this, but is that desk for sell? Its exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't find anyone that sells it. If so what are the dimensions?

    ReplyDelete